Philips (Black Tulip) N5748 HIFI Cassette Deck

De compact cassette was een schitterende uitvinding van Philips en werd een wereldwijd succes. Ook bandrecorders blijken een tijdloos populair medium.Kun jij ook geen genoeg krijgen van die sfeervol draaiende spoelen? Deel hier je magnetische passie!

Moderator: Moderators

Michael 5of9
Contacteer:

24 mar 2016, 13:39

A very good day to you at MFBfreaks.com;

I have a Philips (Black Tulip) N5748 HIFI Cassette Deck; it will no longer play a cassette, it can still fast forward and rewind.
http://www.vintagecassette.com/Philips/N5748

It is part of the Black Tulip range that you manufactured in the 1980’s.

I am looking for help with repairing this; have no service manual, not a good start!
Kind Regards Michael
Heating & Electrical Engineer
mjo

24 mar 2016, 14:09

Stop repairing it.
Sell him to me :mrgreen:
I am looking for one....
mjo

24 mar 2016, 14:14

http://www.mfbfreaks.com/webshop/onderd ... ettedecks/

You must be looking for these next to the belts..
Karsten

24 mar 2016, 17:41

Hi Michael;

Welcome! :)
Here's a story about the required repairwork: http://www.mfbfreaks.com/reparatie-en-s ... n-anderen/
After ordering the gears and belt you'll need to find somebody that can translate the story that comes with the pictures because there are some do's and don't's involved. :?
Furthermore it's not a bad idea to clean the internal connectors with IPA (pretty harmless stuff :wink: ) http://www.mfbfreaks.com/webshop/gereed ... ger-220ml/ and protect them against renewed corrosion with something like "Kontakt61" http://www.mfbfreaks.com/webshop/gereed ... del-200ml/
Many contactcleaners are too aggressive for electronics so be carefull with the use of those :!:
This may get your capstan motor running again but the gears crumble in all decks that have this mechanism.
I have not done the gear replacement job yet but some day these patients will enter the OR:
IMG_5757klein.JPG
IMG_5757klein.JPG (31.49 KiB) 10679 keer bekeken
About the SM:
The following decks are internally identical to your N5748:
N2552 (silver, see picture)
N5741 (“HiFi Laboratories”-version)
Sadly none of these decks are listed here: http://www.mfbfreaks.com/documentatie/service-manuals/ Just the pre-amp: http://docs.mfbfreaks.com/sm/Service_Manual_22AH280.pdf

Greetings;

Karsten
Meten is weten en weten wat je meet.
Michael 5of9
Contacteer:

29 mar 2016, 16:19

KONTAKT 60

Isopropanol is an all-round cleaner for electronic equipment and components. Pure isopropanol to dirt, oil and grease of printed circuit boards to remove. Non-destructive for circuits in contrast to for example Contact 60 spray. Also ideal for cleaning audio and video heads, rubber pressure rollers and between wheels.

KONTAKT WL

The spray wash able to dissolve grease.
A cleaning agent, based on a solvent mixture ensuring a broad scope of effectiveness in prompt degreasing and cleaning of electronic components and electrical contacts.

Kontakt 61

Special cleaning, lubrication and anti corrosion agent for contacts and electro-mechanical moving parts. To prevent wear and jam of contact strips and rails. Kontakt 61 offers a high degree of beschermiing against corrosion. Guarantees durable Rust free contacts where needed: production, repair and maintenance work, precision instruments, clockwork dairy, instruments technology. The product is a microscopically thin, protective layer that guarantees a high degree of contact.

For decades, KONTAKT CHEMIE has been a market leader in electronic sprays; recognised for high quality, effective products
http://www.kontaktchemie.com/KOC/
Laatst gewijzigd door Michael 5of9 op 14 feb 2019, 13:07, 4 keer totaal gewijzigd.
Kind Regards Michael
Michael 5of9
Contacteer:

29 mar 2016, 17:06

First of all thank you Mjo and Karsten for your help; very helpful :D .

It’s far from easy understanding the shop side of the website as it’s in Dutch but could be doable; would you believe it there is no UK or England to select when selecting the country of destination! What can you suggest, send an email direct?

I have translated these instructions to English and am ready to start the dismantling now. I have uploaded the English instructions and the user instructions to my OneDrive; so please help yourself to a download at

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=D ... lder%2cpdf

I could also do with buying for Philips Motional Feedback Amplifier Speakers [22 AH 587] some sticky foam backed sponge to seal the rear panel and a 3400,3401 Tandem Potentiometer 100kΩ resistor lineair, (Philips part number 4822 102 30298) also known as “Sensitive Control”.
Kind Regards Michael
Karsten

29 mar 2016, 17:29

Hi Michael;
Michael 5of9 schreef:First of all thank you Mjo and Karsten for your help; very helpful.
It’s allways nice to help people that want to preserve en repair Philips HiFi! :wink:
Michael 5of9 schreef:It’s far from easy understanding the shop side of the website as it’s in Dutch but could be doable; would you believe it there is no UK or England to select when selecting the country of destination! What can you suggest, send an email direct?
Mail or PB our Thomas. He will think of a way to get the parts to you. The most effective way is to agree on a certain time to call him and go over the list of required parts. :?
Michael 5of9 schreef:could also do with buying for Philips Motional Feedback Amplifier Speakers [22 AH 587] some sticky foam backed sponge to seal the rear panel and a 3400,3401 Tandem Potentiometer 100kΩ resistor lineair, (Philips part number 4822 102 30298) also known as “Sensitive Control”. :D
It probably does not need replacement but an good cleaning with the right stuff from “Kontaktchemie”. Their range of spray cans contains solvents (IPA), cleaners (60), rinse (WL) and preserve (61). Usually IPA+some exercise will do the trick. After some drying a little “61” will make sure that problems stay away for 10-15 years.

Greetings;

Karsten

P.s. I have downloaded the files (thanks! :D ), forewarded them to Thomas and drew his attention to this topic.
If you are composing a new post and you check the box in "Opties" in front of the line that says "Informeer me wanneer een reactie is geplaatst" you will be informed via email when someone has posted in this topic (but maybe you allready figured that out :wink: ).
Thomas
Site Admin
Contacteer:

30 mar 2016, 08:21

Hello Michael,
Michael 5of9 schreef:It’s far from easy understanding the shop side of the website as it’s in Dutch but could be doable; would you believe it there is no UK or England to select when selecting the country of destination! What can you suggest, send an email direct?
I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble ordering parts in the webshop. Please feel free to send me an e-mail with everything you need and I'll confirm the order for you. As for the UK or England part, try searching for "Great Britain" or as we call it "Groot Brittannië".

Best regards,
Thomas Baur
webmaster http://www.mfbfreaks.com
De Enige Echte Philips Motional Feedback Website!
Michael 5of9
Contacteer:

31 mar 2016, 12:34

Thank you Karsten and Thomas for your help; very helpful :D

a) It would be good for identification and for conformation purposes that the name Philips N5748 be added to that list of models of the Replacement Gears in the web shop :?

b) Do have replacement belts for this model; can you provide a web link so I can add to my order 2 rubber belts are required. I have the gears, Isopropanol and the Kontakt 61 web links.

c) Cleaning procedure; use the PRF IPA (Isopropanol) first spray both ends of the contacts (male and female) gear shafts and solenoid shaft, leave for 10 minutes, wipe off and leave to dry then use the Kontakt 61 cleaning and lubricant, spray both ends of the contacts (male and female) gear shafts and solenoid shaft, wipe off the overspray and connect whilst wet?

d) Can the shop webpage translate to English? Have found Groot Brittannië, have come across another problem that posting these cans of chemicals to my country is a no, can this be resolved? I can find something like in this country as a workaround and lastly how do I add items to the shopping basket to continue ordering?
Above showing (one area of) the yellow broken gear wheel, easy to see
Above showing (one area of) the yellow broken gear wheel, easy to see
PS. have updated OneDrive with more info.
Laatst gewijzigd door Michael 5of9 op 07 jan 2017, 12:27, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.
Kind Regards Michael
Harrie
Contacteer:

31 mar 2016, 16:29

hello Michael,

do you see the 2 brown gearwheels ?
they break in a short time ! !

New are available in the webshop as a set of 2 ( different dimension ! )

How to replace them is a job that should be done very carefull ! ! !
see here how to :

http://www.mfbfreaks.com/reparatie-en-s ... n-anderen/

i'm sorry, it is in Dutch language, maybe the pictures are sufficiënt ?
in all cases, the axle of the gearwheel on the right side should be well supported
when pushing on the new gearwheel.

The old gearwheels break, in many peaces, crack it with a pincer !
A bronze center will be the leftover, break it axial with a cutting-pincer for
easy removement.

the belts last long, it's not necessarly to place new ones.

greetsz, Harrie
F7215,AH103,AH109+209+309,AH305,AH306,N5431,N2554,N5846,N7300,EW5506,N6330,22AH109,
CD104,CD204,RH831,RH732,RH720,AH794,VR2340,VR600,CD670,CD582,CDR760,CD930,CD100,
DCC951,DCC900,CDi210,VLP720, 2xAH489, 2xJBLG7, 4xAH492H, 2xMFB 587, 4xMFB544, 4xMFB541
Michael 5of9
Contacteer:

01 apr 2016, 07:11

Thanks for your reply Harrie

Do you have replacement play and record heads for this model; they are specials?

PS using my smartphone with Google Chrome your shop now translates into English :D
Kind Regards Michael
Harrie
Contacteer:

01 apr 2016, 14:53

Michael 5of9 schreef:Thanks for your reply Harrie

Do you have replacement play and record heads for this model; they are specials?

PS using my smartphone with Google Chrome your shop now translates into English :D
Hello Michael, i don't have parts or a shop, the webshop here is owned by Thomas,
and he is my supplier for such parts :wink:
I also don't have heads. When replacing heads, you need the adjustment tool ( see Manual ).
So don't change the position or screws !

Why replacement ? Are the heads damaged ? When just cleaning them is o.k. don't
replace them. :wink:

The capstan has a coating, cleaning must therefore only been done according the Manual,
never with solvents or aggressive cleaners.

o.k., using Google Chrome you can understand / read the text in the webshop ? that's cool,
but that translation is not allways accurate.

greets, Harrie
F7215,AH103,AH109+209+309,AH305,AH306,N5431,N2554,N5846,N7300,EW5506,N6330,22AH109,
CD104,CD204,RH831,RH732,RH720,AH794,VR2340,VR600,CD670,CD582,CDR760,CD930,CD100,
DCC951,DCC900,CDi210,VLP720, 2xAH489, 2xJBLG7, 4xAH492H, 2xMFB 587, 4xMFB544, 4xMFB541
Karsten

01 apr 2016, 21:14

Hi Michael;
Michael 5of9 schreef:a) It would be good for identification and for conformation purposes that the name Philips N5748 be added to that list of models of the Replacement Gears in the web shop :?
That a good one! Never noticed that. Thomas will have to pick up on that. :wink:
Michael 5of9 schreef:b) Do have replacement belts for this model; can you provide a web link so I can add to my order 2 rubber belts are required. I have the gears, Isopropanol and the Kontakt 61 web links.
Belts are called “Snaren” and here they are: http://www.mfbfreaks.com/webshop/onderd ... settedeck/
Michael 5of9 schreef:c) Cleaning procedure; use the PRF IPA (Isopropanol) first spray both ends of the contacts (male and female) gear shafts and solenoid shaft, leave for 10 minutes, wipe off and leave to dry then use the Kontakt 61 cleaning and lubricant, spray both ends of the contacts (male and female) gear shafts and solenoid shaft, wipe off the overspray and connect whilst wet?
I only use IPA on the internal connectors. Connect and disconnect them a couple of times while they are still wet of IPA. Then leave to dry. Then put a little “61” on, reconnect them and leave to dry. If “61” is harmless for plastic connectors it can’t harm the solenoid either. Never use mineral lubrcants om plastics!
Michael 5of9 schreef:have come across another problem that posting these cans of chemicals to my country is a no, can this be resolved? I can find something like in this country as a workaround
”61”: http://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/ce/e ... l?ref=list or http://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/ce/e ... l?ref=list
IPA: http://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/ce/e ... archDetail
Michael 5of9 schreef:and lastly how do I add items to the shopping basket to continue ordering?
Go from product to product and klick ”Aan winkelwagen toevoegen” to add that particular product to the shoppingcart.

Greetings;

Karsten
Michael 5of9
Contacteer:

02 apr 2016, 09:57

Thank you Harrie and Karsten; for all of your help very useful, I am getting there :roll:
by Harrie » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:53 pm
When replacing heads, you need the adjustment tool ( see Manual ).
So don't change the position or screws !
Does anyone have access to a copy of this manual; a PDF copy would be good, your comment is noted Harrie 8-)
by Harrie » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:53 pm
Why replacement ? Are the heads damaged ? When just cleaning them is o.k. don't
replace them.
The reason for renewing the heads was a loss of performance about 8 years after buying it; but cannot recall the exact observations that were identified (it's too long ago now), it’s always been in my mind to have them renewed, if the shop has them would you kindly provide a link :)

I have to say having removed the casing there is loads of components much more than I ever expected, maybe some of these have lost their performance instead of the heads :o

I bought this new in the early 1980’s; they had a showroom shop and were Engineers as well, good ones too, I would buy nothing less than chromium type tapes as the ferrous ones lacked performance and coated the play/record heads, causing a loss of performance. I was advised to use methylated spirits (purple in colour) on a lint free cloth to clean the heads, this works well :D
by mjo » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:14 pm

http://www.mfbfreaks.com/webshop/onderd ... ettedecks/
Do I need to order anything additionally to be able to fit these gears :?:
Laatst gewijzigd door Michael 5of9 op 07 apr 2016, 17:08, 3 keer totaal gewijzigd.
Kind Regards Michael
Harrie
Contacteer:

02 apr 2016, 16:56

the Service Manual of the N5748 is just one page on the website mentioned below,
you can use the Manual of the N2552 :

http://freeservicemanuals.info/nl/?sear ... sort=typea

When searched for N2552 and brand PHILIPS you see a table of data,
click on N2252 in column "type A" , then the PDF will be downloaded.

If you experience loss of performance, it could be caused by bad electrolytic capacitors ( 'elco's")
All elco's with lower cap then 100 uF I renewed in an N5758 ( simmilar deck ) ; many where bad !

the heads used in these series decks are long lasting.

greets, Harrie
Plaats reactie