Tracking on CD73 and CD100

Digitale schijfjes en analoge MFB boxen gaan ontzettend goed samen... Alles over CD spelers, DAC's en loopwerken hier!

Moderator: Moderators

Plaats reactie
david winter

22 mar 2018, 21:10

Hello,

I am new to this forum. Just to present myself I am both a vintage hifi dealer and collector.
In my business I'm not into digital formats (audio or video). Only analog audio.
But I like early CD players so I have a Philips CD100 and CD300, a CD104, and a Marantz CD73.

My question is simple: I recaped the power supplies of all my players. I also fully recaped the CD100 but didn't do anything else than the power supply on the CD73.

After trying to play a CD I noticed that the CD73 sometimes takes a bit long to read the chapters and both CD100 and CD73 are extremely sensible to vibrations. Hitting the table with my finger would cause both players to jump.

Is this normal or is there something I should do ? Once again I'm very familiar in restoring analog audio equipment (amplifiers, turntables, tape recorders etc) but digital players are new to me technically talking.

Any hints would be very welcome.

Thanks !

David
Dateq

23 mar 2018, 18:45

Hi David,

Early players are more sensitive from shocks.
Sometimes laser power increases due bad caps and causes tracking problems.
Also the rubber O rings between the CDM laser unit and the housing gets hard due age.

Remplacing caps in the CDM laserunit and the rubber rings could solve some issues.

Shock proof there will never be unfortunately, but the great design will make up for that!
Muziek is de beste uitvinding en zal dat ook blijven !
david winter

24 mar 2018, 08:07

Hi Dateq,

Thanks for your reply.
Do you know where to find the rings ?
Also, are there any specific capacitors to replace ?
I only replaced all of the electrolytics in the CD100. I didn't check if there are any tantalum but I guess they should still be ok ?

The one question I wonder is whether there are adjustments which are out of value due to age. How can I check and adjust the laser current ? I'm really new to this !

Thanks,

David
Dateq

24 mar 2018, 22:41

The rings are located where the cdm is mounted on the housing frame. Mostly on 4 points. Sometimes there are removed by previous owners cause they are half gone already.

Best is to remplace the CDM laser unit capps also. These also drop in value. When remplacing all caps on the cdm laserunit sometimes some adjusting is necessary but you'll need a scoop.
Patterns & voltages can be found in the service manuals. For the CD73 you can also use the Philips CD303 manual.
Muziek is de beste uitvinding en zal dat ook blijven !
Plaats reactie