Philips N1700 tracking issue

Ook op TV en videogebied heeft Philips diverse hoogstandjes op zijn naam staan. Denk aan VCR, Video2000 en de diverse onverwoestbare TV chassis. Al het tele-gebabbel kan hier plaatsvinden!

Moderator: Moderators

Plaats reactie
collisr

11 dec 2016, 15:42

Hello all - sorry for the English.

I wonder whether anyone can help me with my Philips N1700.

I have replaced the belts, the brake shoe (thanks Gromsound) and cleaned up everything. I still have two faults:

1) On many tapes I cannot get the picture to track properly. The tracking slider works, but I can only get a stable picture with the lower 10% covered in white noise. Some tapes cannot even stabilize. I have sprayed the head servo board with electrical cleaner and tried to adjust the "tracking zero" screw underneath the top circuit board. Nothing completely fixes the problem. Any ideas?

2) On Forward or Rewind, the tape stops, unthreads and goes into standby after about 1 minute of FWD/RWD. This never happens during play. Any ideas?

Rob.
gromsound
Contacteer:

11 dec 2016, 17:31

Hi Rob thanx for putting the question here.

regarding 2) i think the automatic timed stop that should only work in stationary mode (tape threaded & no travel, built in for protection of the tape) is now also working in ff/rew. probably a faulty switch contact or connector, just keep on cleaning. If you are a perfectionist you can follow the signal using the schematic diagram and a multimeter.
lijdt aan AMHD - alles moet het doen
OldieSt

20 dec 2016, 21:18

Hello,

I have repaired recently an N1702 (a later model of yours) and it plays well some tapes, but there is others that it couldn't give a good picture on the screen of the tv-set.

But by surprise, when these tapes were cleaned (the vcr-heads too), the picture was better.

Maybe your tapes are not in these so good conditions to be played correctly, take care of the "sticky syndrome": the film breaks down and it comes off a fine dust that gets dirty the heads.

Good luck! :handgestures-thumbup:
collisr

23 dec 2016, 12:57

Thank you everyone.

I managed to find another broken machine and used this to replace the tape/servo board (panel 21) and the main processing board (panel 51) and this has made a great improvement. Some tapes are still a little problematic, but maybe I need to clean these tape too?
gromsound
Contacteer:

23 dec 2016, 14:53

could well be the case, VCR tapes age badly sometimes they just freeze up completely. It is the sport to get some image out of them! One of our forummembers has built a special device for cleaning tapes:
http://www.mfbfreaks.com/forum/viewtopi ... =17&t=7547
lijdt aan AMHD - alles moet het doen
rini

25 dec 2016, 22:17

gromsound schreef:could well be the case, VCR tapes age badly sometimes they just freeze up completely. It is the sport to get some image out of them! One of our forummembers has built a special device for cleaning tapes:
http://www.mfbfreaks.com/forum/viewtopi ... =17&t=7547
Machine is niet te koop :mrgreen:

I think some tapes age bad, the key is how they where stored.
This week i did 3 Scotch Betamax tapes, no trouble at all.
Shurely these tape are most of the time trouble, but some are not.
As ut neet kapot is moi ut niet maak'n!
Plaats reactie