Philips N1501

Ook op TV en videogebied heeft Philips diverse hoogstandjes op zijn naam staan. Denk aan VCR, Video2000 en de diverse onverwoestbare TV chassis. Al het tele-gebabbel kan hier plaatsvinden!

Moderator: Moderators

OldieSt

25 apr 2016, 18:17

Hallo,

Sorry, I don't speak Dutch, I hope that you understand me in English.

Since last summer I have an N1501, a friend of my father gave me this present with some tapes... :dance:

It's a machine of January 1976, and to today I didn't dare to start it because I only had time to clean it carefully inside and outside. The belts were replaced too. It was a hard task. To my surprise it works, but not as good as I was expected. The bulbs shine correctly. When I plug it in the head-drum and the play motors turn without control, without pressing any button. Exactly the same trying to press the On and Off buttons. It doesn't perform to anything.

I downloaded its service manual and I have some knowledge of electronics. What could I do?

Thanks in advance. Regards.
OldieSt

30 apr 2016, 13:12

Hi again,

I would like to show you what happens when I start the recorder... It ignores me when I press any button, and the thread-motor doesn't turn, it makes a little noise but I think that it doesn't gear well.

It seems that the machine runs very fast, like in the fast forward mode (see the counter, it stops when I set "rewind"). The noise comes from the right fan...

Can anybody help me??

rini

30 apr 2016, 19:04

Hi,

The machine should also ignore you when you plug it in.
When you push power it should start, not sooner than that.

The switches on the right side of the cassette compartment are at fault.
Warning, there is line voltage on some of the switches, proceed only when comfortable with
old electronics!

Here is a video about the mods i have made to the machine.
As ut neet kapot is moi ut niet maak'n!
OldieSt

03 sep 2016, 22:14

rini schreef:Hi,

The machine should also ignore you when you plug it in.
When you push power it should start, not sooner than that.

The switches on the right side of the cassette compartment are at fault.
Warning, there is line voltage on some of the switches, proceed only when comfortable with
old electronics!

Here is a video about the mods i have made to the machine.
So, are these the switches that I have to replace?

Afbeelding

Thanks!
gromsound
Contacteer:

06 sep 2016, 20:11

the red big one is the probable culprit, that one switches 220V when starting the machine (lace up and start head drum). but only after you pressed ON. After lacing out and returning the system to rest it switches everything off again.
the other two control the lacing motor direction and on/off and give normally no problems.
lijdt aan AMHD - alles moet het doen
rini

06 sep 2016, 20:14

Was net een reactie aan het schrijven, nou ja :mrgreen:
OldieSt schreef: So, are these the switches that I have to replace?
Thanks!
Possible, the multimeter will tell you, check the big red one, if its okay,
the gears near the red switch are at fault.
The 2 little ones don"t look to good.

On the video you can hear some ratteling, are sure you have the alu. disc centered okay?
Move it by hand to check, sound like it's scraping.
Maybe it is de head drum, terrible metal knocking noise.
OldieSt

06 sep 2016, 21:25

Hello,

I have not found the two metallic switches in the electronics store, but they don't seem too "burned". The red one will be replaced.

The noise comes from the right fan, surely it has to be lubricated because I dismantled him like a lot of pieces of this VCR to clean them.

The fragile part with plastic gears under the two switches seems to be good yet, but it hadn't the right position... Now yes:

Afbeelding
rini

06 sep 2016, 21:45

OldieSt schreef:Afbeelding
Those 2 switches are mounted on top of this part shown on the photo.
If the red switch is good, then the timing for the gears are wrong, or there is no drive on the gears.
Perhaps the little white gear on de lace motor is (no surprice) broken/split/kapot/brol/vuilnis/breekplastiek.
Oh, and timing this bitch is a bitch.

Vraag maar aan gromsound. :mrgreen:
gromsound
Contacteer:

07 sep 2016, 08:37

hihi ik hoop dat die gozer daar sjokkolaa van kan maken.... :lol:

sometimes the metal fan blades of the big motor are slightly bent down and will touch the surroundings, that can make a lot of noise.
BTW you DO realise that the red microswitch is of the normally closed variety? i once encountered a N1500 where they had replaced the switch but took the wrong one, and then threw the complete machine away ''logic totally out of control, RIP''. (thanx 8) ).
nope: just let it find the parking position itself (without the pulley clamp screw attached) and then turn the lower drum in the correct position so that the right spring is slightly tensioned. Then clamp the pulley with the screw (dont break it). Done! Small adjustments can be made by setting the pulley at slightly different angles.
Best solution in the long run is of course the N1500 Gromsound mod (ahem) which does away with the cam gears alltogether. Rini has made a jooptroop presentation of this.
OldieSt

07 sep 2016, 16:29

gromsound schreef:...
BTW you DO realise that the red microswitch is of the normally closed variety? i once encountered a N1500 where they had replaced the switch but took the wrong one, and then threw the complete machine away ''logic totally out of control, RIP''. (thanx 8) ).
nope: just let it find the parking position itself (without the pulley clamp screw attached) and then turn the lower drum in the correct position so that the right spring is slightly tensioned. Then clamp the pulley with the screw (dont break it). Done! Small adjustments can be made by setting the pulley at slightly different angles.
Best solution in the long run is of course the N1500 Gromsound mod (ahem) which does away with the cam gears alltogether. Rini has made a jooptroop presentation of this.
Yes, I have checked the red microswitch with a multimeter, and mine works! So, it was not wrong: always closed and pressing the button it gets opened... Maybe the position of the piece with gears was not right and it could be why the VCR is crazy since the first second... :shifty:

It's a complex machine with a complex design. Why did they so difficult mechanism to thread out the tape?? Maybe a simple belt would be easier to do, like the next vcr-models do... :doh:

I have to checking as well the rotation of the wheel that pull the thread to move the head capstan to its play-position, because it doesn't roll sometimes, but I don't find how to do it. The screw where are attached the cables doesn't dismantle this wheel...

Thanks again! :clap:
rini

07 sep 2016, 20:38

gromsound schreef:
Waar dienen al die streepies dan veur? :mrgreen:
Afbeelding
gromsound
Contacteer:

07 sep 2016, 20:49

ja hehe, dat was tbv de gromsoundmod waarbij de hele handel een kwartslag minder maakt.
Overigens vindt oldiest net even de riniriem opnieuw uit :lol:
werkt overigens niet heb het geprobeerd: de ondertrommel draait helaas excentrisch tov de motor dus de lengte van de riem verandert - loopt vast. vandaar de trekveren die nemen dat verschil op.
zal et effe vertalen:
Laatst gewijzigd door gromsound op 07 sep 2016, 20:52, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.
gromsound
Contacteer:

07 sep 2016, 20:52

Why did they so difficult mechanism to thread out the tape?? Maybe a simple belt would be easier to do, like the next vcr-models do
i'll tell you: check the rotation centre of the lower drum with respect to the pulley: it is excentric turning away from the pulley leading to changing ''belt length'' if you would use that. hence the pulley with long springs attached to the drum which will take up the slack.
i tried a toothed belt but then i found out the above complication. just wont work :(

''next vcr models'' 1502-1700-1702 dit it with a spiral gear on the base plate outer diameter of the lower drum. Direct grip, no problems any more. We call it ''the law of the braking advantage''. If you are the first, the methods are probably not optimal yet. (japanese) competitors thanked Philips for the example and copied the main principles for their machines from 1978 onwards.
rini

07 sep 2016, 22:37

Rini riem:

Ik heb toendertijd de touwtjes los gekoppeld, en aan beide einden v.d riem een m3 ringetje gesuper glued.
De ringtjes weer aan de veren gehaakt, en presto, de slack word opgenomen door de veren.
Of mis ik iets? :?

Afbeelding
Afbeelding

gromsound
Contacteer:

08 sep 2016, 06:45

Ah juste, je hebt de veren laten zitten. (u weet ik heb sinds kort pas echt interweb dus nooit gezien)
Nee dan werkt het natuurlijk. Slipte het niet over het aandrijftandwiel? ik merkte dat je best wel veel kracht nodig hebt zeker bij een zwaar draaiende cassette. eigenlijk is dat touw met die extra slagen om de katrol zo gek nog niet dat slipt nooit (nee de katrol breekt - DUH :? )
Plaats reactie