Bad surprise with N1702

Ook op TV en videogebied heeft Philips diverse hoogstandjes op zijn naam staan. Denk aan VCR, Video2000 en de diverse onverwoestbare TV chassis. Al het tele-gebabbel kan hier plaatsvinden!

Moderator: Moderators

rini

Re: Bad surprise with N1702

Berichtdoor rini » zo jan 15, 2017 11:45 pm

I see myself doing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0R0bN7JIAI

Cleaning up all my tapes against the "sticky shed syndrome"... :roll:

Do you think that this is a good method to improve the video quality of these disastrous videocassettes?
Well, not exactly like that, but mr. Fecr3 sad it was a test only to do the cleaning.
Maybe you can ask Rini. He's the pinchroller King :mrgreen: he made it from old printer stuff.
I'm VCR doctor ;)
Put put, I'am only a bicycle maker :mrgreen:

After trying today to play a Philips tape, it became crazy... :?
Also, you can hear the whining sound when the tapehead hits a wrinkle/bad spot.
Possible that the tape gums op the head on such a event.

The pich roler was only a test batch, took ages.
There is a stuff on the market called "rubber renew", i never used it, and do not know where to buy.
But for some info:

As ut neet kapot is moi ut niet maak'n!

OldieSt

Berichtdoor OldieSt » wo jan 18, 2017 5:53 pm

Ok, I hope that it's only a mecanical problem with a worn pinch roller.

I was a little surprised when I cleaned this one and the duster got dirty so black... The rubber is breaking down!! :roll:

Another question: Rini has recommended me to look for any piece of an old printer to replace this worn pinch roller, but I don't know which is its outer diameter (mine is thinner now). Can anybody write me the measurements of a new pinch roller to play well my tapes at last?

Thanks again. :handgestures-thumbup:

OldieSt

Berichtdoor OldieSt » za dec 09, 2017 7:49 am

Finally it works!!! :dance:

https://youtu.be/MRdObSnpGFE

OldieSt

Berichtdoor OldieSt » za jan 13, 2018 8:04 pm

Hello,

Before a long time asking for a spare pinch roller (adapting a printer's rubber) and replacing it in this videorecorder, it has again problems to play a tape more than 20 minutes.

I could digitalize 3 tapes with little failures on the image, ever cleaning them after playing, but rewinding and winding them the faults were corrected... Every time this fault was more frequent, and now it happens 20' before the device is powered on. I wind or rewind the tape and the picture and the sound are good only for about one minute... :doh:

Then they dissapear like if the tracking works wrong... Is it a 4F failure, according to the service manual?
I have measured the voltages of the U230 and the U219: the firsts are right, but there are some of the U219-voltages that don't agree with the manual...

Is maybe a failure on the tape sync servo? One tape made a noise like a screech... :think:

The videorecorder was fully cleaned and oiled, and cleaned again with isopropyl alcohol, to be sure that the capstans are well-cleaned.

Thanks in advance.

rini

Berichtdoor rini » za jan 13, 2018 11:07 pm

Is maybe a failure on the tape sync servo? One tape made a noise like a screech... :think:

The videorecorder was fully cleaned and oiled, and cleaned again with isopropyl alcohol, to be sure that the capstans are well-cleaned.

Thanks in advance.
Sounds like a sticky shed problem.
What does the machine do witch a known good tape?
(always have a test tape or a "known good" tape with your machine)

There is always the problem: is the machine bad, or is the tape bad?

OldieSt

Berichtdoor OldieSt » do jan 18, 2018 8:07 pm

Probably the tape is not so well as I thought, because there were times it played with a bad image and the next recording was fine...

The other tape which sounds like screaming is a Scotch :? and it was cleaned with this kind of cleansing swab for glasses... Maybe was too cleaned and is it now too dry?

Another important question: I have replaced the rubber piece of the "brake", and now the VCR stops well the tape on the wind-mode, not so rewinding... Is there any other piece to replace?

Thanks

gromsound
Contacteer:

Berichtdoor gromsound » vr jan 19, 2018 1:11 pm

Rini is correct. some old VCR tapes cant be salvaged any more, i had a few myself. they just seize on the head drum giving indeed a screeching high pitched sound. your VCR is fine :D
sometimes it is even needed to clean the head after a few minutes of playing. If the recordings are important it's the only way. rew a bit and start again, later on connect the saved fragments in editing.

rew braking might be done through the one way slip clutch in the reel tables. there are some rubber parts there ''flaps'' that melt like belts. it is possible to change them using short pieces of O ring. but if you are carefully playing the piano keys it might not be needed.
lijdt aan AMHD - alles moet het doen

OldieSt

Berichtdoor OldieSt » zo jan 21, 2018 9:22 pm

I have realized that the volume of the sound goes back and force, or up and down... More significant with Philips tapes... :roll:

See this video of one digitalised tape:

All the capstans are accurately cleaned. So, why does it happen?

rini

Berichtdoor rini » zo jan 21, 2018 9:43 pm

I have realized that the volume of the sound goes back and force, or up and down... More significant with Philips tapes... :roll:

See this video of one digitalised tape:

All the capstans are accurately cleaned. So, why does it happen?
Because it's an old tape :mrgreen:
Can be the recording, can be sticky tape, can be uneven rolled tape, can be your machine.
The Philips tapes are problematic, however, the Scotch brand tapes are worse.
Some tapes age better than others, the way tapes are/where stored is crucial.

Terug naar “TV en video”