Poor video on VR2220

Ook op TV en videogebied heeft Philips diverse hoogstandjes op zijn naam staan. Denk aan VCR, Video2000 en de diverse onverwoestbare TV chassis. Al het tele-gebabbel kan hier plaatsvinden!

Moderator: Moderators

collisr

Poor video on VR2220

Berichtdoor collisr » di jan 16, 2018 7:31 pm

Hello and belated Happy New Year to everyone.

Today I have a new problem: Last week I received a nearly-new, boxed VR2220/2120 portable Video 2000 (and tuner/timer). It is in fantastic condition - dust free and doesn't look like it had ever been out of its box.

I have replaced the mains capacitor (RIFA) in the tuner/timer and cleaned the capstan, guides, video heads and video head brushes as recommended in VCCtips.

Mechanically, it runs very smoothly with no problems, the sound is perfect, but as you can see, the video suffers from drop outs and "tearing". I could not see this problem listed in VCCtips so was hoping that someone has seen this before and can recommend a fix. Is this the dropout compensator pot?

(and yes - the tape plays perfectly on my VR2334).

Link to problem https://youtu.be/fU3zIn8YnUc

gromsound
Contacteer:

Re: Poor video on VR2220

Berichtdoor gromsound » wo jan 17, 2018 5:04 pm

welcome back!
nice image between the disturbances though.
doesnt look like DTF contacts, also not like tape defects. i think somewhere bad contact in one of those many plugs between the printunits or even starting at the head amplifier box. alas the portable is not the best of the series... (in fact the second worst :( )

take it apart and clean ALL connectors you can find with IPA, maybe a drip of contact oil and then try again.
other possibility is a bad elco in the image line which can be anywhere from headamplifier up to final mix stage... but that means many candidates :?

good luck!
lijdt aan AMHD - alles moet het doen

collisr

Berichtdoor collisr » wo jan 17, 2018 5:32 pm

Thank you Gromsound.

If the plug/socket cleaning does not work, is it possible to try each board in turn in a working VR2324 to isolate the problem?

Also, do you advise against changing the dropout compensator? I thought that may be the problem.

Rob

gromsound
Contacteer:

Berichtdoor gromsound » wo jan 17, 2018 10:47 pm

trouble with the portable is that it is in fact a pre production version of all other 23xx machines, preceding it by one model year (see the year folders). and many parts are NOT interchangeable... so check carefully in the manuals whether the printunit codes are the same. of course you may swap anything you like but the danger is that you might end up with TWO bad machines... dont fix it when etc :?

the portable is a crappy beast and i think not worth all the effort, it will break down again quickly... but of course playing with a portable&cam set outdoors is true fun. i had my fair share of that, but the stuff resides in the museum now. next to the last 2350 :evil:
lijdt aan AMHD - alles moet het doen

collisr

Berichtdoor collisr » do jan 18, 2018 9:50 am

Understood. I will see whether the plug cleaning helps. Thanks again

Terug naar “TV en video”